Thursday, October 25, 2007

custom gift: skull and roses pencil roll




Recently I was asked to make a custom pencil roll in skulls or motorcycle fabric. It was to be a gift for a friend described as a "funky, free spirit". With Halloween around the corner, the timing couldn't have been any more perfect to find skulls fabric! I picked out a couple different fabrics, then I sent swatch images for her to choose from.

I finished sewing the roll a few days ago, but finally had a chance to photograph it. I posted it to my etsy shop yesterday and she already bought it :)

I've done custom sewing projects for people before, but this is the first time I've received a custom order through my etsy shop. I have to say it was a pretty good experience.

I just started on etsy and having my own shop is all new to me. I've made a couple sales already and overall I feel good about the interactions I've had. For anyone starting their own business, one thing I've learned is that it's important to communicate. There's a saying that it's better to over communicate than under communicate. It's just good practice that I've learned from my day job as well. People can't read your mind so you can't assume anything. Now I'm not saying send a gazillion emails -- that would probably be annoying :) But I'm sure it couldn't hurt to send a friendly email confirming you received their order or payment, and then to confirm that you've dropped it in the mail. I know when I'm on the other end as a customer, I've appreciated those kind of emails.

Anyway, I hope her friend enjoys her gift!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home