Monday, February 11, 2008

Discovering New Music

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life. -Berthold Auerbach

It's never been easier than it is now, to discover new music, and I love that.

When I was younger I would listen to my favorite radio stations waiting for "my songs" to play. And if I heard something new that I liked, I'd wait to see if the DJ would mention the artist. If they didn't, I'd agonize that I didn't know who that was! But that was before the Internet.

I admit, I don't listen to the radio much anymore. I have CD's loaded in my car and my ipod with me wherever I go. But I do still listen to the radio at times and if I hear something new, it's okay if the DJ doesn't say who it is! I try to remember a few of the lyrics and later type it in google search. And lo and behold, I'll find web pages with song lyrics or artist information. If I do a search on youtube, I can watch the music video or concert performance. Here's an example, where I've typed in a few words from Ingrid Michaelson's song "The Way I Am" (I LOVE this song!):




The first item in the list is the music video. The second (with the white letters, and blue background) is just the song. Sometimes people just load the music with no video, which is cool too. I realize close to 100% of the population knows this, and all know you can bookmark these on youtube and listen to it anytime you want. But I just started doing this on my computer and my iphone (a gift from my husband) and I think it's great! It's perfect for when I need my new favorite song "fix" and haven't had a chance to download it from itunes yet. Hey, it's the simple things that make me happy.

So here's my new favorite song:

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home